[Public Application]

Character Name: Edmund Hollen
Character Age: 49
Birthday (including year): July 19th, 192 AF
Current Location: The Hornburg, Kelailles
House [Birth and Marriage if applicable]: House Hollen

Banner Appearance:

House Words: Gore Them All
House Description:Gore Them All, no truer words used to describe perhaps the most vicious and powerful, second to House Storm, in all of Kelailles. Originally a clan of warriors that came to Kelailles over 700 years ago, they earned their fame, and banner during the first war against the Harcourts. War is in their blood, and not surprisingly the maintain the largest standing army in Kelailles. Led by the mighty Edmund Hollen, known for his fury and power on the field of battle, they are a force to be reckoned with. House Hollen is however not known for breeding knights, to them being a Knight is seen as going against tradition of fighting, and to be a knight is to be weak in their eyes. There are some dark details surrounding the presence of Ser Rain Hollen. A rivalry exists between House Hollen and House Cain, the exact cause is unknown to most, but it is believed to be a personal rivalry between Edmund Hollen and Harold Cain.

Player Base: Mark Addy

Appearance:

Personality: A large and fiery man, known for his love of battle and fine wine; he is known for being joyous most of the times, but is known to have a temper so powerful, that when men face his wrath they would rather run to the ends of the Earth then face him. Of course being armed with a mighty warhammer is also a deterrent from most men trying to upset him. While known for his crazy shenanigans in his youth, after he married Elisse Storm, he was slowly tamed, as his wife serves as the balance to him. Together the two make quite a reputable team, able to govern their lands well, and serve as faithful banners to House Storm, the banners with the largest Army too.

However if it wasn't for Elisse Storm, House Hollen would be in tatters, as Edmund doesn't know the first thing about leading men off the field of battle, his understanding of politics and finance are quite lacking. As such, Edmund is the last man you would want to call upon to settle a dispute or enter negotiations with if you desire any outcome other then a fight or a war starting up.

A lover of fine wine, ale, and other drinks known to cloud the mind, Edmund spends a pretty penny on importing some of the finest drinks from other lands, especially from the Remingtons from the Vale of Harken, who have perhaps the finest wine he has ever tasted. So if one wanted to count the importing of drinks, then Edmund is quite the diplomat, having made friends in many other houses, in many other lands. He is known to throw elaborate parties, feasts, as well as tournaments to test the mettle of his warriors, they are far from the standard though, with there often being no rewards or prizes, but rather the glory of being the best. While getting old, Edmund still enters a tournament from time to time, demanding no special treatment, he wishes to fight like every other man, and earn his glory, like every man should.

Friendly to most, his notorious for his bear hugs, which could easily crush a weak man, he values his friends, going to the ends for them, he values loyalty above all else. However there is a rivalry existing between him and Harold Cain, another banner lord, the two are constantly competing and trying to outdo each other, whether for favor in the eyes of the their lords, or just to prove one is better than the other, they have been known to go at it, more so on Edmund's side than anything else.

While not a brilliant mind, he doesn't need to be, Edmund uses force to achieve things, especially in battle, his men are known to rush towards the enemy with such a ferocity that the enemy would rather retreat than face them, as they are just as savage as they are trained and equipped, with each man seeing fighting as his very way of life. Meanwhile Edmund moves on foot, usually do the difficulty of mounting a horse, and swings his hammer like a madman, crushing men left and right. If a battle is won, then it is not uncommon for Edmund to throw a feast for his army. With the largest army in Kelailles, it is easy for Edmund to hold standing in the eyes of others, something he uses to hold over the other lords, and lets them known that he has power.

History: Born 49 years ago in the Hornburg, Edmund Hollen was destined for greatness, as he was the eldest child of his father and mother. He would grow up to be a great warrior, but perhaps considered a poor leader. Strong from an early age, he was never fostered with another House or family, instead he remained at the Hornburg, he was trained and tutored there, by some of the best men available, most of which were exceptional retainers in service to Lord Hugh Hollen, the current Lord of the Hornburg, who were tested in battle, and any other subject they sought to teach. For in the Hornburg, if you sought to teach or train, you needed to be tested, for warriors it would be battle, for scholars would be a more academic battle.

With his strength, Edmund was nearly unmatched in the training ring, he needed not finesse or cunning to win, he would simply smash his opponent, leading to a point when few men would wish to spar against him, because Edmund had developed a Blood Rush when he would fight, loosing control at times, nearly leading to the deaths of several people. Edmund was the prize in the eyes of his father, unlike his brother Beorn, the second eldest, who took more interest in academics and studying, and his brother Alyson and Guy who were more interested in mercantile. As such, it was only expected that Edmund would be the star of the show, and would become the future lord of the Hornburg, not just because he was the eldest, but because he was the strongest, and in a House built upon war and fighting, that was all that matter and really qualified one to take charge. Battle brought great glory to the House, and Edmund would bring it.

At the age of twenty, his father passed away, he died in his sleep, and shortly after his mother took her own life in a fit of despair, she had lost her mind after the passing of her husband, leaving Edmund the rightful heir, and soon he stepped up to take charge. However Edmund was not interested in the nature of politics and leading a land, he was interested in fighting, in feasting, and living life, he was young, and sought the pleasures in life. Yet it would be fate perhaps, the young lord entered a tournament in honor of Albern Storms birthday, to which Edmund crushed the opponents with his martial skill, catching the eye of Elisse Storm with his charms and skills, to which he gave the honors of his victory to. The two would later go on and marry a few years later, uniting the Houses of Hollen and Storm through a strong marriage alliance, and perhaps for the best. The marriage permanently secured the loyalty of House Hollen, and gave Edmund his most valued advisor, which at this point was how House Hollen was being run.

Elisse proved to be more than enough for Edmund, with her running the House and Edmund off fighting wherever he could, things were rather peaceful. In 223 Edmund was blessed with a beautiful young boy, as strapping as he was, and as strong as well; Emmon Hollen was born. Four years later another child was born, another boy, this one took after his mother in every aspect, this was Devan Hollen, and finally a year later their third and final child was born, a beautiful young girl, Lily. With beautiful children, and an heir, Edmund was pretty content with life, as he was getting older, and began to mellow out...slightly. He grew older and fatter, no longer the mighty warrior of his youth, he still managed to retain some fire and passion though.

In 235 AF, the Ernsaw plague had breached Kelailles, and began to ravage the land, leading to unrest in the lands that were ruled by Edmund, who was unable to do anything. The plague claimed the life of his younger brother Guy, and his sister Dani. Unable to react to the plague, growing unrest turned to revolt amongst a small group of peasants. Appointing his brother Beorn to take care of the matter, a detachment of soldiers were sent to quell the revolt, by any means necessary, resulting in a massacre, leaving twenty dead, and his brother Beorn severely wounded; he would survive his injuries, but not before loosing his right leg as a result, creating a rift between Edmund and Beorn. Arnold and Jared Hollen, nephews of Edmund, would also loose their lives before the end of the plague, devastating House Hollen, who seemed to be crumbling, and breaking apart.

Shortly there after, House Hollen collected its banners, rallied its men, and set off to join House Storm in battle in the mainland of Arbrecht; having sided with House Fitzwulf, it was a pitched battle. Following Ser Ragnar Storm, and armed with 500 men, the party from Kelailles moved to support House Fitzwulf in their war to overthrow House Blanchard. The fighting was long and bloody, but eventually they emerged victorious, with House Blanchard becoming nothing but a memory. However not all was well back home, Mathos Storm had passed, and his son, Garland Storm, died after his coronation, and when Ser Ragnar led the army back to Kelailles, Eldric Storm rose to the task to become Storm Lord. Edmond liked Garland Storm, and saw him as the most likely candidate to lead, more so than Logar, who was also so...different, and Eldric, who Edmond saw as untested. Upon the return back to Kelailles, Edmund made a radical move, a move which won him the support of others, but the distrust and discontent of many within his own house. Edmund had adopted Ser Rain Hollen, a woman, who had been knighted by Ser Ragnar himself, for her deeds in the war, she was known to be without equal in skill. Whatever the reason, perhaps his wife had encouraged him to take her in, or perhaps something in his own mind had, but whatever it may be, Ser Rain remains a part of House Hollen, and a valued retainer as well.

Pledging his allegiance to Eldric Storm at his ceremony, Edmund set off with his forces to the Hornburg, where they have remained for many a year, rarely leaving the sanctity of their walls. There they have sat, and there they have waited.

Writing Sample: So there he was, Lord Edmund Hollen, Lord of the Hornburg, powerful and mighty, being bored to death, listening to the complaints of his subjects, true he was only a banner, and had to deal with less things, but still it got annoying old quite fast. He was positive that without the guidance of his wife, his lands would collapse around him, with him off fighting some distant war or some insane battle. Thankfully that he had men to deal with these sorts of things, because after the first peasant, Edmund stopped paying attention, mostly because it was the same old thing, bandits raided my farm, someone stole my cow, this guy is over here is trying to take my land, which would be fine, but apparently Edmund was not allowed to take personal action in the matters, and had to weigh all of the decisions...truly boring for a man who was born to fight.

He was destined to fight, for greatness, he knew it, everyone knew it, yet somehow, he was required or forced by some greater power to sit here, in his great hall, and spend hours a day going through the same thing, over and over again. Sure things got dealt with, but Edmund had no part in it, he let his council take care of such things, and his wife, who always knew the right thing to do, he was nothing more than a figurehead in all of it. Though perhaps the truth of it all was that Edmund couldn't get much sleep last night, blasted back was starting to act up and he howled in pain for most of the night, he cursed getting old. Big belly, gray hairs, and now a weakening body, it was just adding up for him, to a once mighty man. Still, he still had some spunk left in him, he wasn't that old yet, and could still fight with the best of them.

With a bow of his head, the peasant man before him quickly scurried off into a crowd, made up of minor lords, peasants, people of importance, all of which talked amongst themselves as they looked towards Edmund, he sat up in his chair "A great list has been brought before me today, and I assure you it will be dealt with" he said, his voice loud and booming with power and authority, "And I now know that a great many complaints are being brought to my ears, dealing with the increasing threat of bandits, and theft. Rest assured, I will find these men of filth and burn them out of their lairs, and then I will plant their heads on spikes to deter anyone else from turning to such vile actions" he shouted, slamming his fist down against the wooden arm of his chair, "I will do all in my power to protect my subjects, especially in these trying times. This is to be the most bountiful harvest, and like always, Winter is around the corner, be wise, do not waste everything. As such I plan on raising the stockpiles for the coming winter, a tenth more, and it will leave plenty for everyone" he gazed around the room at the faces, a lot of nobodies, "Now return to your homes", pushing himself up, he stood at a great height still.

He strode out of the Great Hall, making his way to his study, a room he almost never used, but found it more than calming as he got older, a place to relax, take a nap, and be left untouched by the constant demands that seemed to come by ruling a land. He had a very comfortable chair in there, built just for him, and as soon as he would sit in it, he would quickly fall asleep. However just as he was rounding the corner, a young man came running towards him "My Lord" he shouted, and Edmund quickly stopped and shouted at the man "WHAT?!?", the man froze in place, obviously scared, "My lord, a message has arrived from Lord Eldric Storm, he requests your presence for a trial", the man handed Edmund a small piece of parchment, "A trial?" Edmund asked as his eyes ran over the message, trying to see through all the fancy writing and formalities, "Yes my lord, for Grimnir Storm".

Edmund stopped and looked at the man, "Grimnir? I thought he died years ago" he asked, looking puzzled, as Edmund had not seen the man since the War, where despite his unconventional tactics, the man was effective, and saved Edmund's ass and those of his men on several occasions. "It seems that he has been brought out of the prisons, and awaits his trial in a week". Edmund stared blankly, "Then I guess we must go, make the necessary preparations, I wish to be there first, or at least before Lord Cain" he shouted, walking past the man, puny boy, a Storm, from his mothers side, sent to live with House Hollen, served as a decent scribe, but that was about it. Now, however, was time for Edmund to relax, and take that nap that he was thinking about for most of the day.

[Time Line Events]
-192 AF: Edmund Hollen is born
-220 AF: Lord Hugh Hollen and his wife pass away; Edmund Hollen becomes the new lord
-221 AF: Edmund wins tourney held in Alberon Storm's Honor, he meets Elisse Storm
-222 AF: Edmund Hollen marries Elisse Storm
-223 AF: Emmon Hollen is born
-227 AF: Devan Hollen is born
-228 AF Lily Hollen is born
-235 AF: Plague breaches Kelailles, many deaths, peasant revolt leads to a massacre and the injury of Edmund's younger brother, Beorn
-235 AF: Lord Edmund Hollen joins with Ser Ragnar Storm to fight in the War of Arbrecht on the side of House Fitzwulf
-240 AF: Edmund returns to the Hornburg
-241: Game Start

House Hollen of the Hornburg

Spoiler

Last edited by LordofGuests; 03-19-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Send a message via AIM to Jenn

OMFG STORMS (Lord you OWE me Chandaka now just sayin'!)
@Sam @Mikey @Latara @ineth @ALLYOUSTORMPEOPLE

then @ME
Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Sam

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Can't wait! Loving this influx!

Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 PM
ineth

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

He seems like fun! Good in depth profile. I say accepted.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Mikey

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Great profile Lord! I would request that you add in a sentence about Edmund adopting Rain Hollen into House Storm in your history.

Ragnar Storm knighted Rain after the Battle of Fallen Timbers, so Edmund would've adopted her after.

Otherwise, Accepted!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Send a message via AIM to Jenn

1. please active your account and put up your avatar
2. Ser Rain needs to be Sira Rain. Female knights are called Sira in our game.
3. Let me know when you've completed Mikey's edits.

Thanks!

Tags
edmund