Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Send a message via AIM to Jenn
Default [01.1] Frequently Asked Questions

The FAQ is meant to help answer some of the common questions we get here at Forsilvra. If your question isn't on here, simply reply to the post with the question, and the staff will get it added along with the answer!

Questions
  • Basic Questions
    • How do I navigate this forum! It’s not software I know well?
    • I’ll be away for a week. Where do I post this?
    • How do I find my threads in this huge forum?
    • Is there an easy place to find the important links?
    • How do I contact other players?
    • Where does the old profile go for an adopted character?
    • Why does my avatar have to be 100x100?
  • Joining Questions
    • I just arrived and I’m lost! Where do I start?
    • I have no idea what character I want. Is there a good place to look at ideas?
    • I found the character I want, but the username is taken. What do I do?
    • Why do you only allow noble characters?
    • Why does my first character have to be from an established house?
    • Do you have a word count?
    • Do you have post requirement?
    • What are these points?
    • Do I have to have a minimum number of posts to make a second character?
    • What if I am struggling with a character to meet the requirement?
    • I just joined, do I have to meet the activity requirement?
    • Do I need an OOC account?
    • How do I setup my character account?
    • Do I need an avatar and where do I get one?
    • How do I know my character is approved?
    • Why do I need to copy the House Genealogy in?
    • What happens to an account when it is transferred?
  • Playing Questions
    • Is Forsilvra a strategy game or a storyline game?
    • I have no idea what is going on in my province. Help me?
    • I want to make a plot page and can’t find the right place
    • Where do I find travel times from city to city?
    • What is the weather for each province?
    • What is the comfort document for?
    • I want to post as NPC. How should I do this?
    • If I do NPC posts, can I allocate them to my character post requirement?
    • I returned to the game and my account doesn't work, help!
    • What are the secret forums for?
    • When do I get a secret forum?
    • What is the character group?
    • Where do I go to request to join and approve the requests?
    • What is the private group?
    • What do I do with the thread?
    • I can't see my secret forum with one of my accounts!
    • Do I add my characters to my private group?
    • Should I add other people to my character group?
    • Why do I get blocked from making new characters when I drop a bunch?
    • I didn’t create the house, but now I’m the only player in it. Will I be penalized if I drop that character?
    • What style of Game is Forsilvra?
    • Why such control from Province Lords?

Last edited by Jenn; 09-08-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Basic Questions

How do I navigate this forum! It’s not software I know well?

There are two documents in the rules that explain how to use Vbulletin. One is written about the software as a whole, called A Member’s guide to VB and the other, Forum Navigation Information discusses some forum specific features we use here, including tags and groups.

I’ll be away for a week. Where do I post this?

We have a common away thread located here. Simply post up when you’re leaving, how long, and when you’ll be back so everyone knows!

Is there an easy place to find the important links?

The sidebar has all the links to what we consider important for both signup and play. Including the links to important information threads, we also link the wanted characters, the province plot threads forum, and the player plot thread forum.

How do I find my threads in this huge forum?

Here at Forsilvra we use the VB tagging system. At the bottom of the thread you can click ‘edit tags’. Add the first name of your character. When you click on the name, all the threads you’ve tagged with that name will come up. You can also use the tag cloud by going to ‘search’ on the top bar, ‘tag search’ and it will take you to the Tag Cloud

How Do I Contact Other players?

We have a contact list located in the player contact forum. Note, this list is only viewable by members. If you’ve joined, please add your information!

Where does the old profile go for an adopted character?

We keep all old profiles in the Retired Profiles Forum, including retired, adopted and deceased characters.

Why does my avatar have to be 100x100?

The staff uses a characters avatar in the House Information Threads to give players the ability to see what all the members of the house look like, so that they can pick a player base with similar features. For the sake of keeping the threads looking nice and even, we require the avatars all be the same size.

Last edited by Jenn; 01-08-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Joining Questions

I just arrived and I’m lost! Where do I start?

The best place to start is the rules and information section. The chapter on character creation will guide you through the steps of getting a character on board, and include links to the important threads (wanted characters, applications, etc) that you might want to read in the process.

I have no idea what character I want. Is there a good place to look at ideas?

Yes! We have a fantastic and extremely long Wanted Characters List. Characters with linked bios have been played in the past, but you are under no obligations to make the character exactly the same. I suggest that you contact the listed player to find out if there are any key plots the wanted character would have. Also pay attention to the point value, which will let you know if the character is more critical for plot.

I found the character I want, but the username is taken. What do I do?

Register with an OOC account, and then contact Jenn or Friday to transfer the account. What does that mean? It means, we'll reset the password and email in the adminCP, clear all the private messages, and link it to your OOC account for your use. This way, all posts by that character remain on the same account.

Why do you only allow noble characters?

The purpose of this game is to focus on the court. The politics, the power struggles, the marriage alliances, the games, the tourneys, and the wars. The problem with commoners is that they have very little to do in the day-to-day lives of the nobility, who might speak with them in an audience setting only. Even a servant would be very limited to his or her household. Thus, unless there is a very good plot reason for it, we require that all characters be of noble blood so that they have possible interaction with a wide range of characters.

Why does my first character have to be from an established house?

Making a new house requires a certain knowledge level of the world, the politics, and the history. By making a character in a house that already exists, someone else has done the research and work and you only have to read it. Then by playing, you will have a better understanding of how we do things here and how the pieces of politics fit together. Once you've gotten your feet wet, you are free to create!

Do you have a word count?

No - Forsilvra has no word count. We expect that players know how much is appropriate to write for whatever scene they are in. We don’t ask for matching. We don’t ask for long or short or a number of paragraphs. Every writer is different and some prefer a rapid fire scene to long drawn out description, or visa versa. Enjoy the game by writing what you feel.

Do you have post requirement?

Yes we do. Every month you are required to make a certain number of posts per character. Posts include RP, letters, proclamations, and solos. There is no length requirement to these posts. The reasons for post requirements is that Forsilvra is a plot driven game and we wish for scenes to move along to keep the action rolling. Of particular importance are our 3pt and 2pt characters, as they are in positions of power and their decisions and actions impact the game. Post requirements are discussed in the Character and Posting Rules.

What are these points?

Points are basically our way of sorting out character value. The more important a character is in the social hierarchy of Forsilvra, the more points the character has. The points then determine the number of required posts per month. In addition, a player only has so many points to work with when creating characters. As characters with more points will deplete a players points faster, this assures that any one player doesn't take on too many high point and important characters at once.

Do I have to have a minimum number of posts to make a second character?

No. You can use all of your ten points to make characters without a minimum number of posts. After the ten are gone, you can get more points as follows: 300 IC posts = 2 more points, 500 IC posts = 2 more points, 800 IC posts = 1 more point. The max we give is 15 points unless special circumstances arise.

What if I am struggling with a character to meet the requirement?

Contact the administrators. We are always available to help with scenes, and have characters in every province. In addition, we suggest looking up other players plot pages. There are many players itching for a new scene!

I just joined, do I have to meet the activity requirement?

The first month any character is created, we do not expect or require them to meet the activity requirement. So consider your first month as free to get to know the place! The next month, where you have a full 28/30/31 days to meet the requirement, we will be tracking. Again, if you are struggling, talk to the staff! It’s what we’re here for to ensure you have a great and prosperous RP experience!

How do I set up My Character account?

This thread called Character Profile Set Up will guide you through getting your character into the right group, having the right title image, the proper display color, and a cool custom title.

Do I need an OOC account?

Most players have OOC accounts and use them off and on for ooc posts. It is not required to have one, but it does make it easier on the staff if you use an OOC account for OOC posts.

Do I need an avatar and where do I get one?

Forsilvra requires that you use 100x100 avatars of a real model/celebrity/actor/singer/famousinsomeway person. The player base page has links to some great pb resources.

How do I know my character is approved?

The admins will 'tag' with the @ sign the people they wish to approve the profile as soon as it is posted. Once all those people have reviewed and granted their approval, the admins will stamp the profile with a template that states it is approved and will move it to the accepted folder.

Why do I need to copy the House Genealogy in?

Overtime the house genealogy can change. Specifically, it may change with your character if you've gotten approval from the creator of the house to make edits. You might have changed a character name, filled in where it says 'son' or 'brother' or added a branch. We at the staff need to see where your character fits in. In addition, we request you go to the probably House Information thread and retrieve the current geneology by clicking on the quote button on the house info post and copying the formatted genealogy for use. If you need help with this, please ask.

What happens to an account when it is transferred?

The admin will reset the password and update the email account. All old private messages are deleted. The account is unlinked from any old connections and relinked to your ooc account. Finally, the admin ensures the character has the right groups.

Last edited by Jenn; 08-02-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Playing Questions

Is Forsilvra a strategy game or a storyline game?

Forsilvra is a storyline game, meant to promote character growth through plot. It is not about having the best strategy. It is not about winning. It's about putting your character into stressful or difficult situations and having them work through them and grow.

I have no idea what is going on in my province. Help me?

The province plot thread forum contains threads for each province with dates associated with major events and travel for the province. Start there to see what is going on. If you have further questions, feel free to PM the province lord or ask the staff!

I want to make a plot page and can’t find the right place.

The player plot forum is located here: Player Plot Forum.

Where do I find travel times from city to city?

You can find these on the map thread in the rules and information. The second post contains travel times by ship, horse, carriage, and raven (for mail). If a city-to-city time you need is not on the list, simply PM Jenn and she will get it added. The less common travel times will be added as needed.

What is the weather for my province?
You can find the weather in the Monthly News, posted for the upcoming month (IE: The August Update contains the September Weather Forecast)

What is the comfort document for?

This is an optional document that details out what you as a person are comfortable with in RP, from sexual scenes, to violence, to npcing of characters. The purpose of the document is to provide this information for other players. Filling it out is optional. Using it is awesome. The comfort docs are viewable only to members and are located in the Player Contact Forum.

I want to post as NPC. How should I do this?

We have common NPC accounts here that can be used to post any character not currently applied for or held. These include NPC Knight, NPC Noble, NPC Commoner, etc. The accounts are located in the player contact forum as it is not visible to guests. All current accounts are listed in the NPC Accounts thread and are linked together via the quick switch.

If I do NPC posts, can I allocate them to my character post requirement?

Unfortunately, no. If you do NPC posts for another player’s benefit, we at the staff appreciate it, however, for tracking purposes the staff is unable to use these, as all players use the same NPC accounts.

I returned to the game and my account doesn't work, help!

If the character was inactive, the account was place in an inactive group where many permissions are the same as a guest. To reactivate your account, PM Jenn and Friday with a request to move the account from inactive back to registered users.

What are the secret forums for?

Sometimes we want to RP about the secrets that were PMed to the admins but we aren't ready to release these to the board in general. The purpose of the secret forums is to allow for such RP. In addition, the staff may use them to prepare plot related RP without letting the cat out of the bag yet.

When do I get a secret forum?

As generating all the required permissions and groups for a secret forum takes time, I typically make someone a forum when either 1) they have been on the site long enough that I feel confident they are staying 2) they request a forum because they need to thread a secret or 3) the staff needs to do a plot thread including that person's characters.

What is the character group?

The character group with your name on it should contain all your characters as member. It will be called "Character Group - NAME". These groups require approval for joining. One of your accounts (preferably your OOC if you have one) will be made the user group leader, and will approve all membership requests. As this group is meant for your characters, you need to swap from account to account and request to join, then go back to you OOC account and approve all the requests.

Where do I go to request to join and approve the requests?

You will go to the Group Memberships page in your User CP. To join your group you need to find your group and click the radio button named 'join group'. Then scroll to the bottom and join. When you return to your OOC account, at the bottom there is a section for approving requests to join your group.

What is the private group?

The private group with your name on it is how you grant access to other players to your secret forum. It will be called "Private Group - NAME". These groups require approval for joining. One of your accounts (preferably your OOC if you have one) will be made the user group leader, and will approve all membership requests. If you and another member wish to thread, they will need to request access to your forum via Group Memberships with the character account you plan to write the thread with, and you will then approve their request to join. When you are finished with the thread, you may remove them from your forum.

What do I do with the thread?

Once you're done, you may want someone else to come into your forum, but not see your thread. Using your OOC account, you can move that thread, with thread tools, into the forum listed as "NAME'S THREADS". This forum is only visible to you and staff, and not those you allow to see your secret forum.

I can't see my secret forum with one of my accounts!

The most likely situation is that you haven't added that account to your character group. If you've done this and still have problems, contact the admins.

Do I add my characters to my private group?

No. You do not need to add your characters to your private group. Only to your character group.

Should I add other people to my character group?

Absolutely not. The staff also uses the group to grant you access to other places on the forum where there might be group secret plot. If you add other people to your character group you will mess up the permissions for these forum. Please ensure that only your characters and your OOC account are in this group.

Why do I get blocked from making new characters when I drop a bunch?

Because of the way Forsilvra is set up, dropping characters can have a real impact on other players. We all make characters we decide we don’t like, and occasionally we want to get rid of them. This rule is designed to avoid the pattern of constantly making and dropping characters, however, that can cause plot holes and characters issues within the family that is impacted.

Further, a lot of work is needed by the staff to sort profiles, update information, and keep our records. Constantly changing of characters increases the amount of time we spend on these mundane tasks, that we could be using to post and move the plot along.

I didn’t create the house, but now I’m the only player in it. Will I be penalized if I drop that character?

No. If the situation is that someone else created the house and then dropped the lord and/or other characters and you are the only character left with little to nothing to do, contact the admins about the character. This has happened to more than one person on the site, and I will not hold you accountable for something outside your control.

What style of game is Forsilvra?

The game has an overarching plot that is driven by the admins and key character positions, including but not limited to, the province lords, the royal family, the game villains and secret spy characters.

However, your character can react to these events as you see fit. They can choose who they love and hate, how they respond to others, and what personal events and decisions shape their lives.

In addition, a character is limited by the choices of the head of their house. Members of the house are betrothed and wed as the head sees fit. Items, money, land, and options are given and taken away as the head sees fit.

Why such control by the Province Lords?

Forsilvra is a medieval game, and the characters are aligned on a medieval hierarchy. In character, that hierarchy must be respected. However, there is no reason that out of characters players can’t make plots work or discuss marriage or travel options. Most any plot can be worked to make sense in the setting.

Most, but not all. Be flexible. Forcing someone else to go out of character because you are unhappy with what their head of house would decide is no better than someone forcing you and your character into a plot you are unhappy about.

Last edited by Jenn; 09-08-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Closed Thread