Forsilvra :: Winds of Change

Go Back   Forsilvra :: Winds of Change > The Actions of Men > The Vandermark > Linsburg

Closed Thread  

Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Marius Landalis
Don't hurt me!

Random
Character
Eighteen
Linsburg
Married
Vesper Landalis

Default An Invitation from the King Himself! (4/7, Marius/Open, Dusk.)

Marius walked briskly from the pigeon tower to a study on the eastern wing of the castle; it was always sort of empty there, and the study was typically only used by him. Not many could read in the castle; just the scribe, and a few other of the higher level servants. But Marius knew how to read... and Marius could often be found in one of the studies. The easiest way to find him was often just to check all four studies; he was bound to be in one of them.

When he arrived at the study he sat in a chair and broke the royal wax warily with his thumb. He already knew what it was about, or at least thought he knew what it was; he thought it was invitation to the Spring Ball, and to his delight that was precisely what it was. He opened the letter and began to read aloud quietly, the letter blocking his view of the door. "Dear Lord Landalis..." He started; clearly his father was meant to have the letter... but Marius had been the first to acquire it, so why shouldn't he be the first to read it? "...You and your family are cordially invited to the Spring Ball..." he said, his voice trailing off as he began to read in his head. It was faster that way. He began to reread it, only to realize that he was making up words. The letter wasn't addressed to Lord Landalis personally, nor did it involve the word 'Cordially.'

Little did he know that he wasn't alone anymore.

Last edited by Marius Landalis; 09-17-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Vesper Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
Vandermark
Married
Marius
N/A
N/A

Vesper was bored, and Vesper didn’t like being bored. With that mind she strolled the halls of her new castle, looking for something to do. Mostly, she was looking for Marius to harass or someone interesting to talk to. In contrast to House Alysworth, House Landalis seemed to be dead for the most part. Vesper knew that was a product of Marius’ parents having almost no children. Still, it was boring.

As she walked, Vesper contemplated the idea of inviting people to visit. Perhaps they could host a small gathering, and maybe even some of her family could attend. Delighted by her brilliant idea, Vesper quickened her pace, determined to find Marius. Marius would have to help her convince his father, though she doubted her cowardly husband would have opposed her. He never did.

Peeking into various rooms, Vesper finally tracked him down in a study. It was on Marius liked to retreat to, she knew, though she usually left him alone as Vesper didn’t’ want Marius to know how well she knew his habits. Resting her arm on the doorframe, Vesper leaned against it, curious what the letter was that Marius had.

Fortunately for her, he read it out loud. At first, she rolled eyes, finding it terribly silly that Marius had to read the letter aloud. Only children read letters out loud for themselves. Once it was done, Vesper was delighted. A ball was even more fabulous than her idea, and since it was with the royal family, they would have to attend.

Vesper wouldn’t have it any other way, she knew, as she practically hopped over to him in delight. “Well we’re going, aren’t we, darling?” Her voice was sugary sweet as she leaned against the desk, bumping up against Marius. Her expression, however, was a mixture of sweetness and a danger that would happen to Marius if he didn’t agree.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Marius Landalis
Don't hurt me!

Random
Character
Eighteen
Linsburg
Married
Vesper Landalis

Marius jumped embarrassingly at her voice; she startled him, and his cheeks flushed red with shame. He didn't see Vesper in the doorway, nor did he expect her to find him. He had thought she would be prowling the yard, or handling servants... or something.

He lowered the letter and watched her walk over. He didn't make eye contact with her. He rarely made eye contact with anyone, as he was afraid that they'd take it the wrong way, and then they'd have an argument... and Marius just didn't like arguments. He was too busy dreading the thought of insulting them that half the time his failure to make eye contact was an insult. So he glanced at her face and then looked away.

"If... father wills it." Marius said quiet and wary. No doubt his father would accept the invite from the king, and no doubt he and Vesper would have to attend... Marius was afraid of embarrassing himself and his wife, though, for the simple reason that, "I am a poor dancer, my lady..." He said quietly. Then he added a question with a curious tone, "How long were you standing there?" Marius played with the idea of asking her to take a seat, but he decided against it. Vesper would sit where she wanted, if she wanted to sit.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Vesper Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
Vandermark
Married
Marius
N/A
N/A

Vesper frowned down at Marius. When they were fifteen he hadn’t seemed so… meek. Or maybe she had just been weaker then, but that was something Vesper sincerely doubted. The fact was, Marius had always been a coward, Vesper just hadn’t realized at the time. Now she wondered if she was being punished for some prior mistake. Married off to a man who would likely faint in any situation of danger rather protect her.

“He must, mustn’t he?” Vesper said aloud, more to herself than to Marius. She was already growing annoyed by him, for it was obvious that he was not enthused about the invitation. An invitation from the king was something to be celebrated.

Grabbing his hand, Vesper attempted to pull Marius up and out of his seat. “Dancing is easy! Surely you can do it?” She almost sighed and said something derogatory regarding House Landalis, but at the last moment Vesper managed to bite her tongue. The house just seemed so… uncivilized to her. Marius never having had dance lessons did not make much sense to her, considering he was the heir.

“Not very long, I happened to be walking by and saw you here. Come on, dance with me, Marius.” For now, Vesper was all sweetness in her words and behavior.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Marius Landalis
Don't hurt me!

Random
Character
Eighteen
Linsburg
Married
Vesper Landalis

Marius allowed himself to be pulled forth from his seat, dropping the letter in the seat to free up his hand. He didn't really want to dance; he had lessons, sure, and knew what a noble lord had to get by, but Marius did not have much fun dancing and even now he would occasionally step on his partners feet. The last time he had truly danced was with Vesper, and that was on their wedding day.

"Must we?" He asked, in a weak attempt to get out of it.

Part of him, deep, deep down wanted to step on her foot for all the shouting she did at him. Then he wouldn't have to dance at the ball, because she wouldn't be able to dance with a broken foot either! It would of been such a genius plan... but Marius was not the kind of person to hurt another, especially not on purpose.

Marius stood frozen for a moment to gather himself and figure out what to do. He didn't have to like dancing, but it would be better for both of them if he made her think he did. So he forced a smile and grasped both her hands with his own. He pulled her close and looked over her at the wall as he did his best attempt at Waltzing with her if she went along with it. It was one of the dances they performed at the wedding. That time, though, he had a genuine smile on his face. Over the years he had forgotten how mean she had been to him, and fully expected she wouldn't be any sort of mean after they were married.

Welp. Marius figured out real fast that she would be as mean as she could if you let her, and if you did what Vesper wanted then you were less likely to face her venomous words. Marius had been thinking more than concentrating now, and if Vesper went with his dance, then he'd nearly step on her foot right about now. He'd jerk his foot away as soon as he realized that he was not feeling the floor and brace himself for some choice words.

Why were they dancing, anyway? What if someone saw them? What if someone asked questions when they did? Marius tried to strap some sort of ulterior motive to making them dance, but so far he was having no luck.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Vesper Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
Vandermark
Married
Marius
N/A
N/A

“No, but… don’t you want to practice?” Vesper blinked at him, purposely keeping her facial expression innocent, as if the thought that Marius wouldn’t want to practice had never crossed her mind. She thought she was being nice, so hopefully Marius would go along with it. After all, she had to dance with her husband at the ball, it was of no question.

Waiting for him, Vesper forced herself to remain patient. Then he was finally moving, deciding to dance. It pleased Vesper to see him take charge, pulling her close and beginning the dance. She was so pleased for the time being that she ignored his clumsy feet, easing out of his way and nudging him along into the right steps. Vesper was a skilled dance, and she hoped that she could improve Marius quickly enough that her temper wouldn’t get in the way.

“It’s not so bad, now, is it…” She spoke to him, breaking the silence with a smirk on her face. “We can try other dances if you like.” Though oddly enough, Vesper found herself almost wanting to kiss him, which genuinely surprised her.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Marius Landalis
Don't hurt me!

Random
Character
Eighteen
Linsburg
Married
Vesper Landalis

Marius closed his eyes in relief. She didn't seem to mind this time... why? Then Marius decided he DIDN'T want to know the answer, and that she could keep ti to herself like he kept so many thoughts to his own self. She might be his wife, and he her husband, but the trust was not strong enough between them that they could share everything. Marius wasn't sure it ever would be; his thoughts had always been privy to himself, and much like he avoided people they avoided being spoken aloud.

Marius sighed in his head. Another thing with Vesper was if you did something well, she'd want you to do it again. That was pretty normal, yes, but Marius always got frustrated when his plans backfired. He had hoped, vainly, that if he danced well then she would allow them to stop dancing. Instead, they would probably be stuck for hours unless someone interrupted.. ah, well.

Marius tried to look at the good in the situation, rather than the bad. He was holding his wife close, something that happened almost every night whether they had fought or not. Hell, sometimes she chewed him out while they lay in bed.

He looked down and forced a light smile upon his face as he answered her, "I do not know the other so well, my love." It was true; The Waltz was the one dance Marius had cared to nail. The rest he hadn't been forced to practice long enough to master, and if he was lucky it would stay that way. But when has Marius ever been lucky?

"How was your day?" He questioned as they danced.His eyes had dropped from staring out the window past Vesper to her hair and he still didn't make eye contact with her.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Vesper Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
Vandermark
Married
Marius
N/A
N/A

Vesper stopped dancing, though she did not pull away from him, yet. Marius was beginning to annoy her, so she let out a deep breath. “I know you don’t. We can learn, together. In time for the ball,” she responded, her suggestion not so much a suggestion than a command. She would never understand why Marius was so fearful of everything.

“My day?” There were so many answers Vesper could come up with, but all they would do is further alienate her husband. That is not what she wanted, for the moment. “My day was fine, I suppose… The prospect of a ball certainly brightened it.”

Vesper let her hands drop from his, done with dancing for now. Now that her hands were free, she raised one and brushed his fingers against his hair, moving it out of Marius’ eyes. Her finger trailed across his head and down his ear before she lowered it and scooped his hand into hers. “And you?”
Old 09-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Marius Landalis
Don't hurt me!

Random
Character
Eighteen
Linsburg
Married
Vesper Landalis

"Uhm," He started, standing straight and not moving his body like a doofus. He was watching her, now, and mindful of her touching. She sounded sincere, and somehow he had managed to stop the damned dancing, if only for a moment. But now he felt just as awkward standing still. He would of felt awkward sitting, too. Marius often felt uneasy when people were staring at him and his fidgeting or lack of movement only drew more eyes to him. He felt awkward with her touching him, but not because he was embarrassed; it was because she was beautiful, especially now at Dusk.

He wanted to say it was good until she showed up, but that was just not an option. It would of been uncalled for in almost any situation, especially since she hadn't begun to shout or scream at him, even when he stepped on her foot. So Marius buried that malicious thought and said,

"A bore; books." He said. That was a lie, too; Marius had fun reading histories of houses, of the land, and fables of heroes of old. It was always entertaining for Marius, for when he read these things he could pretend he wasn't Marius Landalis the coward, the man who yielded to his wife, the man who couldn't do anything except mathematics. He could, for instance, pretend he was a soldier in the war of old, fighting alongside heroes like Geralt.

His hand was limp in her grasp, much like the rest of his body. He hadn't thought that might annoy Vesper. For being as smart as he is, Marius could and would be pretty stupid sometimes.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Vesper Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
Vandermark
Married
Marius
N/A
N/A

“Don’t lie, Marius.” Vesper’s eyes honed in on him, and her tone harshened. “I know you like to read.” Vesper didn’t care that he liked to read; there were worse hobbies to have. At least he wasn’t out sleeping with whores and then expecting her to sleep with him. There were far worse husbands that a woman could have. She was lucky that he didn’t beat her, but still, she wished he were a little more firm.

“Listen to me, Marius,” Vesper’s voice was her normal tone, one she reserved for when she was serious. “I will treat you well at this ball. I will be the darling wife. Do not embarrass me.” She wondered if that was too harsh, and tried to clarify. “I am not trying to scare you… I just want this to go well. And to see my family.” She gave him a small smile, the best she could muster, and then a quick peck on the cheek.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Marius Landalis
Don't hurt me!

Random
Character
Eighteen
Linsburg
Married
Vesper Landalis

Marius swallowed before he spoke. He wanted to be everything he should of been; he wanted to be a master swordsmen, brilliant tactician, intelligent and charming... but all he had was his mathematical ability, truly. He could probably stock the entire coffers of the Vandermark given enough time and ways of accumulating money, but defend it? Fat chance!

"The last thing I want to do is embarrass us." He said, quietly, acknowledging the small kiss she gave him in his mind. "I, too, want to see your family. They were always so nice." He said, not making any mention of her temperament or his wonder if their entire family was like that. He decided that in truth he didn't want to know, and asking her would no doubt make Vesper sour until they retire to the bed chambers.

He did like most of the Alysworth more. He loathed half his family, and the other half talked down to him. And one of them? He expected his Uncle Hector was a dark night away from trying to kill Marius. He was truly afraid of the man -- he never went near balconies, nor sharp objects with Hector if he could help it. He always made sure he wasn't alone when Hector was nearby.

And if Hector did corner him, Marius would do anything to prevent his uncle from harming him. When Marius was younger, he even considered telling his father to make Hector the heir, because he always felt in danger.

But why was he thinking about Hector? He had his wife in front of him, and that man was the last thing he wanted to think about. He walked away from her, back to his chair, and stood over it for a moment before slumping down into it. He admired her outfit and then looked away.

"Beautiful, as always." He commented. He wondered, was their anything else she would like to discuss?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Hector Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

"Yes, quite beautiful." A bodiless voice uttered almost amused at the mediocrity of the compliment. Or at least it was not quite as bodiless as one might expect. A man dawned in armaments was leaning on the door. Ever snake smiles and shady blues of his eyes watching the almost happy couple. The leathers of training equipment silhouetted his figure that seemed opposite of his slouching nephew. Running a hand down his beard he further watched for the reaction he always got out of the boy. Somehow just the look of terror he gave Hector was enough to make living with the brat all the more worth while.

"Though I imagine that sort of dancing might be fit for our own halls. In the king's court you will look simply out of place with Vesper clearly out shining you in every way." As always, compliments mixed with insults. What was omitted? The fact that this house had seen his dancing and though unimpressed couldn't expect anything better out of the worthless child.

Taking a light step into the dim room, his presence alone could suffocate lesser creatures like Marius-He had higher hopes of Vesper though. Expecting a fiery remark defending her husband or simply to join into belittling of the boy. Either way, it would be an interesting way to end the night before cleaning up after the training his men in the yard. "Perhaps you might learn better from example- Vesper would you care to help me teach your husband a short dancing lesson? Only if you would allow it of course Marius." It a charming offer simply made with a sly little smirk of sorts. He gave a steep bow the lass, his eyes never leaving the lady's during the sweeping motion. And was would be the purpose of all this? Hector was simply curious about how Marius would react with his wife in his most hated Uncle's arms.

Last edited by Hector Landalis; 09-27-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Vesper Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
Vandermark
Married
Marius
N/A
N/A

Vesper lit up when she heard Hector’s voice, and swiveled around to greet him. Marius’ uncle was quite handsome, there was no denying it, and so she looked him over appreciatively. Though she wouldn’t say that she wished Marius be exactly like Hector, for he could be a little brutish at times, she did hope that her husband would grow the same confidence that Hector had. So far, though, he was a lost cause.

“I do not need permission from him,” sneered Vesper, and the fact that she was going to thank her husband for the compliment was forgotten. “I’m sure you won’t disappoint, unlike Marius.” Without waiting, Vesper strode over to him and let Hector take charge of the dance. It was obvious to her that Hector was far more skilled than Marius. He took control, was confident, and knew the steps. Everything she wanted her husband to be.

If Hector is this skilled dancing, I wonder what he is like in bed… Vesper bit her lip at the thought as stared at Hector’s ruggedly handsome face. Marius had always been pleasing in the bedroom, but Hector was tempting.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Angela Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Angela Landalis had been around town to the library, and while passing by the docks, she had heard the news from traders having sailed from Belleile that the King was planning a Celebration of Mourning with festivities. She knew what that meant: a grand celebration for all the Realm to attend. And possibly a celebration where Lord Atticus would want her to attract the attention of a future husband, a match he would made for his daughter. His only daughter, she thought. I need to make sure I do not disappoint. She had, on her way back in the market, looked at all the pretty jewelry and thought of a way to make herself look as pretty as possible.

When she entered the Castle, she went up to the pigeon tower immediately to see if there was mail. The only thing the servants were able to tell her was that Marius had gone down to his study with a letter from the King's royal person. Well, written by the Steward, Angela observed drily. His Grace is 15. Fifteen, she spelled it out in her head. That's one year younger than I am, she realised. Immediately, her head was racing with thoughts she'd rather confide to her diary and keep there. The King was reputed to be a handsome young man. What if he were to choose me? I would be a queen. She'd like that.

Or the girl she really was would. It just wouldn't happen, Angela cautioned herself. The King was the King, after all: to marry a Landalis would be to risk affronting the Great Houses. And the King had to keep the Kingdom together, after all. As soon as the girlish fancy had developed, Angela had rationalised it away and she would write of it, of that she was sure. She was, by now, standing in front of the door of Marius study, and she could hear what was going on inside. Not good. Vesper was at odds with Marius again, and uncle Hector's presence sure would make it worse.

She barged in with a smile on her face. "Good evening, brother, uncle, Hector." She walked over to Marius. "So, what's the news from the Court? Is there going to be a Ball?"
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Atticus Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Atticus had spent the evening resting. Dinner had taken it out of him. The constant bickering between Marius and Hector (mostly, if not entirely, from Hector) was a nightly ritual that drained him more than he cared to say. If Atticus was not a man so solid in his faith in his son, then he would have been shattered by the words his brother had to say. Luckily, he knew what Marius was worth and it was definitely more than he was given credit for. There was a strong man in him, somewhere, and it would come out when it was ready. For Linsburg's sake, Atticus often prayed that it would be sooner rather than later. He wanted his people to love Marius as they loved him. It would make the transition easier.

His rest was broken when a footman knocked on his door. A letter had arrived from the capital. Atticus didn't even need to guess to know its contents. It was not difficult to piece two and two together. Their boy king had been in place for quite some time now. It was about time he showed himself off in true Fontenot fashion.

Mustering all the strength he could, Atticus left his chambers and hoped the rest he'd taken had been enough. He went down to his son's study, where he knew the letter would have been delivered, only to see that his whole family had gone there for the exact same purpose.

"Forgive me. I did not know we were having a party of our own," he smiled, walking through the front door. For any other man, it would have been odd to find Vesper dancing with Hector instead of her husband. But Atticus knew Marius was much too shy to do so himself. Besides, this was no doubt another game Hector was enjoying at the expense of his nephew. Instead of fighting such a thing and chiding his younger brother, Atticus had long discovered to leave things be lest he drain all of his strength and be of no help to his son at all. There were ways of handling Hector without having to result to confrontation. What was more, there was no use being hot headed and alienating the only brother he had left, not when he could have the entire family getting along (as best as their capacity would allow them).

Atticus decided to brush it off as he went over to his daughter's side, kissing her atop the head before sitting on the chair next to her. "So, a ball at Forsilvra. Gods help us all." If only Atticus could refuse the invitation. But honor and loyalty demanded he should go. Duty was duty and none knew that better than he.

Last edited by Atticus Landalis; 10-05-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Marius Landalis
Don't hurt me!

Random
Character
Eighteen
Linsburg
Married
Vesper Landalis

Marius felt a cold chill when he heard his uncle speak. Over the years Marius became apprehensive at the mere sound of it, often changing his mood with the snap of a finger. Dread and fear and hesitation would rise up from his stomach and make him uncomfortable. And all of this came from just a single man.

Just when he and Vesper were starting to get along, too. He ruined it, like he did most nights. It was as if Hector brought the worst out of Vesper and he seemed to do it with no effort nor fear at all. It was the words he chose, the tone he used; it was the confidence. And of course, he had to insult Marius -- wouldn't be a proper conversation with his uncle if he did, after all.

Marius said nothing. He just looked away and thumbed his temple. He wouldn't give Hector the pleasure of conversation; that's what he wanted. He wanted Marius to speak, or to act, so that he could mock him more. Well, Marius would not give him that tonight. But he couldn't leave; leaving would be just as bad as opening his mouth. So he trapped, helpless.

There was a new voice at the door, and for all that was good in the world it was Angela. He could talk to her without fear of ridicule, could use her to leave the room without questioning. He looked up and waved at her greeted her with "Angela."

Then his father arrived, and Marius was even happier. He almost felt the same way he did before anyone had come to him; he felt secure, because he hoped his fathers presence would make Hector hold his tongue. It probably wouldn't and he was probably hoping in vain. He wished his father would tell Hector to get away from Vesper and to stay away.

It wouldn't happen, because that was something Marius would have to do himself, but he could hope and pray that it happened on it's own. Someday he would have to man-up, but today he didn't have to, and today he wouldn't.

"You dislike balls, father?" He questioned.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Atticus Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Atticus hated nothing more than seeing his family in tense terms. He could see Marius shrinking in the corner and he knew it was all because of Hector. Oh, if only Atticus could fight is son's battles for him. But he could not...not if he wanted Marius to grow into a good, strong man. Atticus had already allowed him so much freedom. To stretch that far would be coddling him like a child. Very soon, Marius would have to become the man his father had always hoped he'd become.

With a deep sigh, Atticus resisted the urge to interfere. Instead, he turned his attention to Marius's question. "It is not the balls I hate, son, but the many implications of it." His people were just a year into rebuilding their shattered lives after the Plague had taken a hammer to it. They needed to know that Atticus was with them in their suffering and in their hope. They didn't need to see their lord off on a ship to Belleile to enjoy the revelry of the King's hospitality. What was more, the expenditure of a journey across the sea was something Atticus never liked considering despite their comfortably filled coffers.

Nevertheless, when a King called, his lords answered.

"Now, I know I normally send you all to attend in my stead, but this is not merely a feast in The Hollows. Attending the King's Ball would be akin to swearing my allegiance to him. We shall all go. We shall leave trustworthy castelleans, someone I leave for you to choose Hector, to tend to our people while we are away. As for the preparations of the journey, I leave that to you Marius. You know our treasury more than anyone in the castle. Your mother shall help you with the cooperation of the entire household. Depend on it." Hopefully his show of trust would be enough to sate the two. Atticus hoped that Hector would see the safety and management of Linsburg in his post. And hopefully Marius could see the charge of their family's well-being in his.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Vesper Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
Vandermark
Married
Marius
N/A
N/A

“No hello to me, Angela? Why not?” Vesper sneered at Marius’ little sister, highly annoyed she chose to join them. God, she couldn’t stand the little brat. Hopefully she wouldn’t come.

Vesper cut off the dance with Hector once she noticed that Atticus had entered. She wasn’t ashamed, though she knew what it must have looked like to Atticus and Angela. Instead, she held her head up defiantly. She had in fact danced with Marius, but she wasn’t going to deny Hector what he wanted. Hector was a much better dancer, and it was a delight to dance with him.
Now that Angela and Atticus were in the room, Vesper moved much closer to Marius. Close enough that she could rest her hand on his shoulder, which she did. She didn’t need him going off with Angela. They were too close and Vesper didn’t like anything that Angela ever had to say.

Of course, now that the ball was the topic of discussion, she was paying far more attention to Atticus than anyone else. Fortunately, he answered Marius in a way that pleased her. They would definitely be going, which meant that now she would have to plan what to bring. It was so exciting! Vesper had never been to Forsilvra, and she could not wait to see the castle. She had heard stores of course, but it wasn’t the same as seeing it in person.

Vesper rubbed her husband’s shoulder, trying to display some affection towards him, but she was looking at Hector as she did so.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Hector Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Vesper. The woman forged from the heat wild fire and tempered into a beauty quite above the standard courtly lady. Her rich voice delightful as she turned from her shameful husband cowering silently in his own misery to Hector in her radiance. Her words the salt on any wound Marius no doubt had. She took his hands, her soft hands lightly on his own sturdy form. Like silk twisting about in the wind. For despite his calloused hands and seemingly rough stance, he twisted and turned with her like one of those horses from the desert countries. His light and prancing steps quick and effortless as he played on her own strengths. Dancing was much like sword play, each with their own steps elegantly transitioning from one move to the another.

However the dance was cut short too soon for Hector's liking. With Marius trapped in his chair brooding in his own silent hell and Hector quite enjoying the opportunity to make the boy look bad in front of whomever happened upon them. It just so happened to be his younger sister. Angela in Hector's mind was what a lady was expected to be. He had no qualms with her so when Vesper broke the entertainment off to join her husband's side in the presence of the young lady and soon enough Atticus he simply let her glide away with no attempt irritate the situation further.

They all knew how he felt, but with Marius making it so easy the other's had no choice but to wait for him to stand on his own feet and counter Hector. Anything else would further shame the boy that would one day be expected to take up Atticus's mantle. "Good Eve' Angela, Atticus." He managed a shark like smile at the duo. Watching his brother's exasperated sighing and his daughters worried brow as she assessed he was up to no good. Family. How well they knew him. "I've just the man in mind Atticus, we shall leave Linsburg in good hands." He lightly slapped his brother on the back with well- as close to affection as he really showed. "It has been quite some time since I've been to Forsilvra. Quite some time actually. Though I like travel little more than you brother, it may be nice to see this boy-king. Take our own measure of his character and meet with the other houses again." Though he could feel her hot gaze on him, he could not spare more then a glance at her while he spoke his own views on the trip. Oh how he wanted to tempt his fate and steal a glance her way. Still wishing that he could again torment his young nephew with the act. Perhaps arrange a match for his own boys while they danced with the other maidens. Though that would be talks for just him and Atticus in the privacy of one chamber or another. It was not just wedding and bedding a pretty lass, but a political union that would help repair the Lanalis house after the ravaging of the plague.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Angela Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Vesper's sneer annoyed Angela immensely. She always had had the impression that Vesper resented her for being close to her only brother (as if she were the only one entitled to love him- as if she ever did). She froze in her tracks for a second, then decided that the provocation from her sister-in-law wasn't worth a scowl and proceeded straight to where Marius sat, ignoring Vesper almost entirely. Her father entered soon after, before she got the opportunity to speak to her brother, or for Marius to answer her question about the ball. She looked up towards the door as soon as she heard him enter. "Father!" she said happily, smiling at him. He came towards her and kissed her atop her head.

The confirmation from her father that a Ball was indeed coming up in Forsilvra set Angela's mind racing. There was so much to do, and truthfully, she didn't really know what was expected of her. Sure, she knew how to dance, curtsy, look pretty and handle courtesies, but that probably wouldn't be all she needed. Nobody ever told her exactly what a ball entailed, for the sole reason that there weren't a lot of balls to attend during the Plague. It made her rather nervous and she wanted nothing less than to be well-prepared (although she had the impression she would fail anyway). Nevertheless, the excitement was clearly visible on her face as the discussion between Marius and her father about the ball progressed.

"Oh!" she finally got a word into the discussion. "So there really is to be a ball? I hope... I hope I don't do anything wrong. It'd be so bad if I messed up. Half the Realm will be attending, I guess." She very well knew the implications of the Ball both for her and for Linsburg. The people would miss their lordlings during rebuilding. For her, it meant that she was expected to court a young man who might become her husband. It made her all a lot less sure of herself. "And, er... I'd like to meet the boy-king and the other houses."

She really shouldn't have said that, she reflected right after she did say it. All she meant was that she was curious about King Adrien, not that she'd seriously expect him to notice her. It probably came out that way, though, which she really didn't like at all.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Atticus Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Well at least they all weren't dreading the prospect of journeying as much as Atticus was. Besides, this sort of thing was for the young and well. This trip would be more for them than it was for him. Of course, there would be politics spoken and dealt with, but there was more merriment to be hand than solemnity.

"Yes, Angela. I am certain there is to be a ball," he smiled at the dear girl. "I wouldn't be so worried about decorum. Gods know your mother raised you better in that sense than I ever could," he joked, trying to make the mood lighter. The should enjoy themselves when they went there. He would not put such pressures on them, especially on Angela. No doubt all the other girls her age were being primed, prodded, and polished to catch the King's eye in hopes of making them the next Queen of Forsilvra. If Angela liked the King, then it was all well and good, but she shouldn't feel the need to force herself into liking him just because her father wanted it.

Atticus took the letter from his son and reviewed it, reading the last part which described a ceremony of some sort. "It says here that there will also be a day of reverence...for those we lost in the plague." Atticus was almost among them. His brothers certainly were. "We should offer roses for your uncles. Tell your cousins in the morning when they wake. I am sure they'd appreciate the honor." Good men, both of them. Too young to have been taken so soon.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Vesper Landalis
House Landalis

Player
Character
Vandermark
Married
Marius
N/A
N/A

Vesper couldn’t stand Angela’s chattering on. She was so… young, it was disgusting. Of course, in actuality Vesper was not much older, but that didn’t matter to her. Vesper would have never admitted any weakness regarding her dance, which is something that all young ladies should have been well trained in. Angela was such a disgrace that Vesper didn’t even bother to look at her as she spoke. She almost laughed at the mention of meeting the king, as if Angela would ever be matched with him, but she managed to hold her tongue.

Of course Atticus swooped in and saved the day, comforting his poor daughter, as usual. Vesper’s family was just as close, but she had never found them to be so… pitiful. Still, she didn’t truly hate Atticus, merely resented the way he coddled his children. It was stupid of him to say they shouldn’t worry about decorum, but it wasn’t her place to speak against the lord (not until Marius took over, anyway).

The ceremony of mourning was of interest to her, however, when Atticus began to speak of it. Though Vesper was not one for mourning, she would pay her respects to her grandmother, as Vesper had always been fond of the woman. She looked down to Marius, wondering how the deaths of his family had affected him.
Closed Thread  

Tags
angela, hector, marius, vesper