Your Name: Renna
RP Experience: Like 10 years.
Your Character's Player Base: Phoebe Tonkin with some color edits

-------------------------------

[Basic Information]

Character Name: Marzena Jabłońska, goes by nickname Marszenka
Character Age: 18
Birthday (including year): April 17, 223
Home Castle/City: Originally Sosny Mały, Samartia. Currently, Belleile.
House: Jabłoński

[House Information]

Banner Appearance:White for purity and red for sacrifice; pure white blossoms rising unstained from a field of blood.
House Words: Honor, Cnota, Nauka (Honor, Virtue, Wisdom)
Unofficial: Gość w domy, Bg w domu (Guest in the house, God in the house)
Bez matki nie ma chatki (Without mother, there is no home)
Castle Name: Dwr Jabłoński
Original Castle Name: Hunting Lodge Noma

House Description: Honest, generous, and hardworking, the Jabłoński clan was well-respected for generations even prior to their rise in status. The humble family was famed throughout the village of Sosny Mały and the region beyond for judging fairly, offering shelter to anyone in need, and managing their land with gracious honesty and the wisdom of those close to the earth. They were a farming family from the beginning and seemed unlikely to be anything else, and they were content, but then a Jabłoński son went off to war. Tomasz Jabłoński inherited an unheard-of fire from his mother, a far cry from the typical placid nature of his ancestors, and this courage and drive served all of them well. It wasn't long before he was accepted into the ranks of the husaria, the fierce heavy cavalry, and not much longer before he'd saved the life of his friend and his lord, earning his family a place in the Samartian nobility. This was not wholly unheard-of, considering the Samartian fondness for the democratic process, and most were glad to see such a well-loved family getting the honor it so richly deserved.

The honor was short-lived. War returned, and this time brought desolation in its wake. At the last House Jabłoński was scattered or slain, only two remaining together to seek peace and safety across the waves in a strange and distant country.

[Appearance]

Marszenka Jabłońska is deceptively soft-looking from a full mouth and a mane of dark hair all the way to a pair of tiny feet. It's only with a second look that someone might notice the chin has a stubborn set and the eyes are lit with determination.

Alone of the Jabłoński children, Marszenka takes after her father completely, sharing his dark, waving hair and warm brown eyes. She's also inherited his stature, although to an exaggerated extent - Juliek Jabłoński has never been a tall man, but his daughter is significantly shorter, standing at a proud 5'2" and making her the smallest of the family's six children despite being the second-oldest. The twelve-year old twins only have an inch and a half to go before matching her completely; Aniela, at fifteen, is comfortable to be three inches taller and exactly average; Tomasz is a towering giant in comparison and even little Jadwiga, not quite seven, looks like she has a good shot of at least reaching 5'4". Their sister takes this in good humor and is happy to point out that although she might be the shortest, she also is the *sturdiest*, which might well be true. Growing up with a rough-and-tumble big brother, and the winds and branching sky of Samartia's rolling farmland, made Marszenka turn out tougher than she appears. Nothing in her slight, curvy frame, full mouth, or soft eyes would indicate a tomboy, but it's there - she loves to run, jump, ride, and climb with the rest of them, and more than that, she can keep up.

The main clue is in the hands, hardened from a lifetime of work and touched here and there with burns from cooking (which she is good at, but also hates). Others are found in the sun-given freckles sprinkled over her nose, and the way her hair never seems to want to be tamed; whether that way from birth or permanently windblown, no one can say. Either way, strangers are often surprised by just how much strength is in the young woman's arms, while those familiar have affectionately dubbed her 'the little horse', aka, one of the sturdy ponies used for working fields and mountain mines.

Despite all this, Marszenka has a fondness for pretty things and enjoys wearing skirts, vests, and dresses decorated with colorful embroidery, ribbon, and flowers, and will spend a good deal of time gussying up for special occasions. She does not share her brother Tomasz's self-confidence with her appearance, thinking herself pretty on some days and ordinary on others, and consequently takes a little more effort to show herself to her best advantage, simple as her wardrobe might be (although her ears are pierced and usually hold at least a small item of jewelry).

[Personality]

A farmer's daughter who is well-used to hard work and getting her hands dirty, complemented by an intelligent mind, a valiant heart, and a kind and gentle soul. Marszenka is fully aware of who she is and her own worth on an eternal scale, meaning she is not easily swayed from her convictions nor quickly shamed. She is much wiser than her young age would suggest and rarely hesitant to express her thoughts; mostly because she possesses the unique talent of usually being right, while also being able to do so without making other people feel badly. Marszenka's heart is easy to reach, softening for anyone and anything in distress, and it's just as well it's near the surface because it is her primary champion and guide. Her intuition has served her so well through life that even at eighteen she trusts it implicitly, doing as she feels she ought regardless of how little sense it seems to make. Anyone who encounters her can be sure of finding a pair of shoulders willing to carry any load that needs lifting as well as a stalwart, eternal friend.

Very outspoken, quick-witted, and courageous, she has a stubborn pride and a righteous temper that gets her into trouble about as often as it helps her, although there are plenty who have been impressed by it. She also has a tendency to be overly self-sacrificing, which can be seen in either light. In extreme circumstances her grief is absolute and nearly all-consuming; she is fairly easy to move to tears and can sometimes be naive. Quite talented in a variety of fields and a swift learner.

Intelligent, spirited, stubborn, generous, protective, compassionate, hopeful, common-sense, courageous, loving, creative, bossy, the guardian, devout.

[History]

Occupation: Farmer, housemaid, clerk, translator. Also cook, seamstress, livestock tender, Tomasz-Tamer, scraped-knee-kisser, all-round Cleanliness Manager, Music-Maker, Head of the Common Sense and Practicalities Division, Manners Mistress, and in all other senses just The Boss.

A farm girl blessed with a warm and loving family, just before the onset of the Hessian War. Dropped out of school to allow her brother to train as a skilled soldier (basic schooling in Samartia was considered a right for any one who could afford the time - Tom's departure strained the family's resources enough that remaining home became a necessity). A newly-noble girl who lived with the quiet griefs of any other teenage girl whose loftier dreams weren't falling into line and who just wanted a boy to like her, as well as with the brighter joys of an intelligent, creative and conscientious spirit. There's not much of a back story to tell, if only because she began life so simply and so young, but if there was it would go this way: She lived, and had to continue living even when everything precious was torn apart.

Key Events:
223: Born.
226: Tomasz introduces horses, mud pies, wrestling, and climbing on things.
227: Despite constant scolding, Tomasz introduces racing, walking fences, swimming, and punching people. Also more horses.
227: Marszenka's mother introduces sewing and is relieved to see that she likes it at least as much as running around like a heathen.
228: Marszenka's mother introduces cooking. Marszy escapes outside every chance she gets and has to be dragged back in.
230: Lord Sobieski decrees that basic schooling be given to all citizens, in tandem with his abolishment of the title 'serf', save as punishment for serious crime. Marszenka starts school and loves it. Tom starts school and mostly hates it.
233: The village church is given a harpsichord and an organ, courtesy of the manor house. Marszenka falls in love and starts volunteering her small hands to clean and mend in exchange for learning to play.
235: Tom makes the acquaintance of Lord Sobieski's son Mirosław. They do not get along.
235: The rest of the family makes the acquaintance of Lord Sobieski's son Mirosław and get along fine, especially the little girl who wants to know if the manor house really has books and flowers all year and if "Lord Mirek" has ever seen a piece of real, not-paste amber. Tom sulks that everyone is fussing over the 'nob'. Everyone else is used to Tom picking fights and assumes the mess was his fault. They're right.
235: A book, fresh flowers, and a piece of "real amber, not paste" are sent to the little girl with a lot of questions. The rest of the family is perfectly happy to have gifts of cloth, fur, and spice.
235: Tom changes his mind about the "nob boy" being a brat, admits it manfully, and the two become fast friends.
236: Tom decides to enlist as a professional, trained soldier, because in the event of war (which is already beginning), he'd be pressed anyway and because a life of action appeals to him much more than the stolid one of a farmer. After much discussion and some soul-searching on all sides, Marszenka volunteers to abandon her lessons to allow her restless brother to go. She hides her tears until he's gone, and does the best she can to keep up at home via books loaned from the manor. Already an excellent horseman, Tomasz is accepted to train as a hussar under the leadership of his friend and lord Mirosław.
238: Tomasz saves Mirosław's life during a skirmish and the family is suddenly the center of a lot of attention.
238: It is with great pleasure that the Sobieski family raises Tomasz Jabłoński to the rank of Lord and offers him the keeping of Sosny Mały and the land surrounding, excepting the Sobieski manor and immediate grounds. Courtesy titles are also granted to the new lord's parents and dowry for his siblings. The entire family is caught off-guard by this, none more so than Tom, who protests that he's not near fine enough or patient enough to be a lord...but the prospect of a better future for the sister who allowed him to follow his heart shuts him up and he goes to work with perhaps more heart than skill. Marszenka is over the moon and immediately starts reveling in the beauty of a private tutor.
238: Tomasz attempts the entire rest of the year to build a romance between his little sister and his friend, with no success.
239: Tomasz still attempts to sow romance. Marszenka is enchanted by a trader with red hair, who only has eyes for a willowy blonde.
240: Tomasz gives up after Mirek makes a point to constantly address Marszenka as 'sister.' Marszenka doesn't mind.
240: Nightmares. Hesse storms in from the West and the North, with an army three times what Samartia is able to muster. The struggle ends in a month, with imprisonment, death, or slavery for many. Tomasz remains on the front, valiantly trying to stem the tide, but too far and too late to do anything about the home that is quickly overrun and the family that is largely slaughtered. Marszenka is pressed into service to a Hessian officer and his family, kept there for the better part of a year.
241: Tom manages to escape brief imprisonment behind enemy lines and is released from his duty by Mirosław, who encourages him to find the only other known survivor of the Jabłonski clan and take her to safety somewhere else - bonus points if he can also find anyone to help. With some reluctance Tom obeys, tracking down his sister and whisking her away.
241: Both siblings arrive in Belleile virtually penniless. Game start.

[Writing Sample]

"Do you ever polish this armor?"

It was the fifth night since she'd slipped out of Hessian-taken Samartia in her brother's arms, and the first night he'd allowed the two of them a fire. Marszenka was turning a shoulder piece about in the light, squinting into the metal as she tried to ignore the smell rising from the potatoes roasting in the coals. The question made her brother laugh, although the sound was clearly good-natured and he didn't hesitate to answer it. "Nie. There's no point. Noblemen like Mirosław have a polished set for when they have to look official, but shine in the battlefield is being a target. You might as well paint on a bull's eye. Why?" Tomasz teased. "You should know that you're the prettiest girl in the realms without having to see your face in it."

Marszenka flushed, then, and set the battered object aside - although, for once, her color was not from shy pleasure at being complimented. Her brother had struck nearer a mark then he realized, and there was a long silence before she ventured a response. "...I just wanted to see if I still had Tata's eyes."

This response made her brother frown, and the young man raised himself up on one elbow to look his sister over very carefully. "Of course you do, more even than me. Marzipan, what would make you think you didn't?"

Marszenka bit her lip, turning to set the shoulderplate aside. It wasn't all that uncommon for her to hide something from her brother, whose volatile temper was often more trouble than it was worth, even for himself. But this matter was too serious, and at length she offered a slow confession. "...That man I worked for. He wanted me to be good, I guess; the first thing he told me was that I had no country anymore. No family either - that my father and brothers were dead and I was to look only to him. I told him that even if it was true, I still had my father's eyes. He struck me then, and turned the mirrors to the wall. So I could forget what I looked like."

Tomasz's jaw had been tightening throughout the entire narrative, and at the end of it, true to form, he erupted. "I should have killed him. It wouldn't have taken long --"

"Nie!" Marszenka fell across her brother's neck, taking him into her arms and soothing him with a kiss to the cheek. "I am here now, jest dobrze. It was not so bad; he had no time to become worse. Anyway, if you'd killed him and then taken me, we would never have made it from the territory. Every man, woman, and child would have been looking for you."

Tomasz didn't erupt again, but he didn't answer either, which, coupled with the way his mouth was pressed tight, could only be a bad sign. His sister tried again, gently: "I knew he was lying about part of it anyway. If you'd died, you would have come for me with fire from heaven. You hadn't, so I guessed that you lived and would come for me soon enough. And you have. Not so?"

She kissed her brother's cheek again, and Tom sat up, a little mollified. He opened his arms to her with a new gentleness, welcoming her against his shoulder, where she nestled, and smoothed down the tumbled hair. "Tak. I live. And the others might, too; I don't know." He took her face in his hands, turning it up to his own. "He shouldn't have hurt you. And I shouldn't have been away long enough to let him." Softly, "You're so good. You'll always have our father's eyes."

Marszenka smiled, then, and brushed her fingers over Tomasz's cheek. "It's all right. There will be good from it, you'll see."

Tom returned the smile fondly, just looking at his sibling with his usual admiration, but the wind changed and he shifted to briskly pat a hand against the ground. "All right, now, enough talking; we have tomorrow for that. It's bedtime. Who's taking first watch?"

"We could race for it," Marszenka suggested innocently, only a sudden spark in the dark eyes betraying the image of sweetness, and Tomasz laughed out loud. "Oh, yes, very fair, especially with my injured leg. I take it back. Your eyes are blue now."

His sister pounced, tackling Tom over and eliciting another bout of merry laughter. "AND attacking a cripple! Who are you, and what have you done with my sister?!"

The tussle lasted only a few moments longer, sprinkled liberally with Tom's instruction. "Not like that -- use your weight, like I showed you -- It's okay, you can cheat! You're tiny! In battle you have to win, so cheat -- oof. Very good."

Marszenka took her success as an opportunity to embrace her brother around the neck again, just clinging with her face pressed into his sleeve, and all at once the merriment was gone to leave a soft, sincere, and grateful little whisper. "....Thank you for coming to get me."

His arm moved, sweeping her up so he could kiss the top of her head. "Thank you for believing I would."

That was all, and all they needed to say, and when Tomasz finally released her it was only to wrap her in his cloak. "You take the first watch and I'll handle the rest. I can always doze on the horse...and I feel bad making you walk so much of the way. You're sure you can do it? ^^; We still have leagues to go..."

"You need me to do it, don't you?" Marszenka retorted, equal parts stubbornness and practicality. "Then I can do it. You'll walk when your leg is mended."

It earned her another smile. "That's my girl." Tomasz stretched out again, curling up before the fire with the ease of a man long used to the discomfort of campaigns. "Wake me for anything that worries you, mind, and don't fret about it - it won't be like it was waking me at home. Not even a cranky look, promise; the sooner I wake up, the sooner you sleep. Tak? Dobranoc, sweetling."

He closed his eyes and immediately sank into the restless half-sleep of the hunted, falling still with only his shoulders rising. Marszenka stood, settling into the cloak before stepping forward and bending over the precious flames that had warmed them for just this one night. The fire died. Silence drifted down, filling the grove sheltering the runaways, and after ending the last ember the girl returned to her brother's side, resuming her vigil beneath a mantle of distant stars.

[Timeline of Events]

SOSNY MAŁY

760 BCE: A man finds a good patch of land with a single apple tree and settles down to till it, eventually being known by the name of the tree: Jabłoński. His descendants marry and have children and till in varying degrees of poverty for the next eight hundred years.
198: Juliek Jabłoński born.
209: Juliek Jabłoński orphaned. Decides to donate the land he is too young to manage for the use of the entire community, rather than sell, and spends the next few years working as a farm hand on other people's land. He becomes well-favored.
215: Juliek meets and falls in love with Marta Kowiatkowska, a merchant's daughter, who eventually returns his interest although he is well below her means.
216-218: First war with Hesse; Juliek pressed into service of the Hessian army.
218: Hesse loses. Juliek returns home and starts rebuilding an old cottage on the edge of town, setting up the land for farming with the help of the people who had been sustained by his gift years before.
218: Juliek Jablonski marries Marta Kowiatkowska.
218: Tomasz born.
223: Marszenka born.
226: Aniela born.
229: Twins Andrzej and Karol born, Karol with a club foot.
334: Jadwiga born, after one other pregnancy that ended in the first trimester.
230: Lord Sobieski decrees that basic schooling be given to all citizens, in tandem with his abolishment of the title 'serf', save as punishment for serious crime. Marszenka starts school and loves it. Tom starts school and mostly hates it. Both teach their younger siblings.
235: Tom makes the acquaintance of Lord Sobieski's son Mirosław. They do not get along.
235: The rest of the family makes the acquaintance of Lord Sobieski's son Mirosław and get along fine, especially the little girl who wants to know if the manor house really has books and flowers all year and if "Lord Mirek" has ever seen a piece of real, not-paste amber. Tom sulks that everyone is fussing over the 'nob'. Everyone else is used to Tom picking fights and assumes the mess was his fault. They're right.
235: A book, fresh flowers, and a piece of "real amber, not paste" are sent to the little girl with a lot of questions. The rest of the family is perfectly happy to have gifts of cloth, fur, and spice.
235: Tom changes his mind about the "nob boy" being a brat, admits it manfully, and the two become fast friends.
236: Tom decides to enlist as a professional, trained soldier, because in the event of war (which is already beginning), he'd be pressed anyway and because a life of action appeals to him much more than the stolid one of a farmer. After much discussion and some soul-searching on all sides, Marszenka volunteers to abandon her lessons to allow her restless brother to go. She hides her tears until he's gone, and does the best she can to keep up at home via books loaned from the manor. Already an excellent horseman, Tomasz is accepted to train as a hussar under the leadership of his friend and lord Mirosław.
238: Tomasz saves Mirosław's life during a skirmish and the family is suddenly the center of a lot of attention.
238: It is with great pleasure that the Sobieski family raises Tomasz Jabłoński to the rank of Lord and offers him the keeping of Sosny Mały and the land surrounding, excepting the Sobieski manor and immediate grounds. Courtesy titles are also granted to the new lord's parents and dowry for his siblings. The entire family is caught off-guard by this, none more so than Tom, who protests that he's not near fine enough or patient enough to be a lord...but the prospect of a better future for the sister who allowed him to follow his heart shuts him up and he goes to work with perhaps more heart than skill. Marszenka is over the moon and immediately starts reveling in the beauty of a private tutor.
240: Nightmares. Hesse storms in from the West and the North, with an army three times what Samartia is able to muster. The struggle ends in a month, with imprisonment, death, or slavery for many. Tomasz remains on the front, valiantly trying to stem the tide, but too far and too late to do anything about the home that is quickly overrun and the family that is largely slaughtered. Marszenka is pressed into service to a Hessian officer and his family, kept there for the better part of a year.
241: Tom manages to escape brief imprisonment behind enemy lines and is released from his duty by Mirosław, who encourages him to find the only other known survivor of the Jabłonski clan and take her to safety somewhere else - bonus points if he can also find anyone to help. With some reluctance Tom obeys, tracking down his sister and whisking her away.
241: Both siblings arrive in Belleile virtually penniless. Game start.

[Genealogy]
  • Juliek Jabłoński (43)-- Marta Kwiatkowska Jabłońska (43)
    • Tomasz Jabłoński (23)
    • Marszenka Jabłońska (18)
    • Aniela Jabłońska (15)
    • Andrzej Jabłońska (12)
    • Karol Jabłoński (12)
    • Jadwiga Jabłońska (7)

[PMed Application]
Plot Points To Be Kept Hidden

Last edited by Marszenka Jablonska; 04-25-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Marszenka Jablonska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Send a message via AIM to Jenn

@Friday @Adamsama
Old 04-25-2015, 02:57 AM
Adamsama
The Proud Dictator of Nothing

Divine Intervention
Character
Twenty-Four
Nirvana
Omnipotent
Polygamy Mofos
N/A

Send a message via AIM to Adamsama Send a message via MSN to Adamsama

I really like the idea behind this. So approved.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Friday
King of the Railroad

The Red Queen
Character
Infinite
Middle Earth
Love Quadrangle
Mango
N/A
N/A

Approved!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Send a message via AIM to Jenn

ACCEPTED!

All required parties have approved your profile and you may now post.

Must Do Requirements[

Please ensure your profile is tagged with your character name. To do so, go to the bottom of the thread, edit tags, and type in the first name only for your character.

Post here if You need a character account transferred

Profile Set Up Directions - Read this to ensure you do everything required to properly set up your character profile. Ensure your character's display name is the proper color, by selecting your display group as the character's current house after you have joined the groups.

If this is your first character, please ensure you sign The tag thread with your occ acount.

Links of Importance

Plot Pages Forum - Swing by here to make your plot page and post on others

Province Plot Threads - Contains the timeline for each province. Use this to ensure your character starts in the right place.

Monthly News - Catch up on what is going on in the provinces.

Tags
marszenka