Character
Legal
Forsilvra
None
None
N/A

Default Forsilvra Spotlight October: COBALT

COBALT

Hello everyone! Welcome to our new segment called the FORSILVRA SPOTLIGHT! I asked Cobalt a series of questions that are semi-interview style and will be presenting them to all of you so that we get to know more about our players here on the site! The interview process is broken down into four segments: A little bit about them, their characters, future ideas, and shout-outs to others. The interviewees are drawn at random so that all is fair in love and war.

Let’s get started, shall we?

What brought you to Forsilvra, and how have you been enjoying it so far?
Quote:
Sunshine brought me over, and I have definitely found other people that I enjoy threading with a great deal. Glad I got a chance to meet nifty new folks.
What are your favorite archetypes that you like to portray, and are you playing those roles now in this particular game?
Quote:
I tend to like characters whose ideas of themselves and other people are pretty far from what the evidence is telling them, because writing rationalization is entertaining. Efa's the big example there. She is constantly rationalizing her ideals and the exceptions to them. Melanie is a little more open to the idea that there are multiple reasonable ways of being, so she doesn't have to fight quite as hard against new information as Efa does.
Are there any other games besides Forsilvra that you play on at this point in time?
Quote:
Two! Metro City's an original superhero setting where I've been for about a year and a half, and I recently joined Bordertown, which is run by Lily Lilac from RPG-D.
What do you look forward to the most when you come to Forsilvra?
Quote:
Posts!
------------

Based on the two characters you have so far, it seems that you gravitate towards the strong feminist types of women. Was that more by sheer accident or intentional design?
Quote:
Efa actually is probably one of the most misogynist characters in the game. *laugh* She's just awful and I don't think she's much of a feminist, but your point is taken. I try to write female characters that say something about what I've learned from being a woman and watching other women live, since it's the closest a lot of people will get to interacting with a woman while being able to read her mind at the same time.
MYFAWNY ‘EFA’ HAVEN
Let’s talk about Efa first being that she is your first creation on this game. What was it about House Haven that initially drew you to create a character for that particular family?
Quote:
Sunshine! Also, I liked that House Haven wasn't a major House with a lot of play history and its members already defined. I don't play too many canon characters as a rule, so I wanted someone that I could pretty much make for myself.
Despite the fact that Efa seems to prefer acting like a man, there have been several occasions where she mostly tends to clash with them instead. Is there a particular reason as to why it ended up that way?
Quote:
Yes. Efa relates well to men like a lot of women do who've decided that being a tomboy makes them better than other women. So as long as she's being treated as "one of the guys," she takes it as a compliment, but the moment someone points out that she isn't one of the men, she takes it as an insult.

I've been one of those women who was proud of the fact that I had more guy friends and didn't have any patience or interest (or respect) when it came to women or "woman stuff," and let me tell you: tomboys like that are jerks. Additionally, it puts those tomboys in this weird position where they're constantly trying to prove themselves and can never just relax and be whatever or whoever they are because there's something they disdain that they're afraid of being mistaken for: "girly girls." Efa has that problem because I've been there.
MELANIE AL-HAADIYAH
Moving on to Melanie, it seems like she hasn’t had nearly as much posting time as Efa. Is it a case of a reluctant muse or something else?
Quote:
Melanie didn't come pre-packaged with any in-character relationships the way Efa did. This is sort of a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in that I don't precisely need any particular player to be present and active in order to play her, but it's a curse in that it's necessary to find and create those connections without things seeming too contrived.
I see that she’s more of the traveling sort, what other places do you plan on going to with her? Especially with two civil wars about to erupt and then the issues going on in Caelain, do you find her traveling in those particular regions anytime soon in order to be of aid spiritually to others?
Quote:
I was actually planning on having her leave after the celebrations in the capitol and not go home to Ahestere at all, but Lorelei inadvertently pointed out to her that there were people back home who still needed her.
------------

Now that you’ve been driving two characters for a while, is there another one you plan to apply for yet? If so, who or what kind of character did you have in mind?
Quote:
Not really, no. I have my hands fairly full with Melanie and Efa, and don't want to pile anything else onto my plate that'd slow down my responses with them.
Are there any particular players or characters that you want Efa or Melanie to interact with in the near future? What would you like to accomplish with them?
Quote:
Obviously I want Efa to eventually know all of the Vaughns everywhere, too, though I haven't thought of an interesting way to make that happen yet. She and the Vaughns would relate well in the sense that none of them thinks it's a reasonable lifestyle for women to be delicate little ladythings, but Efa's loyalty to her older brother might be a point of tension between her and a house that seems to have little patience for silliness or for male authority.

I have no idea what it'd look like if Melanie got sucked into Ahesteri politics, though I am sort of curious to find out. She's a bit of a free agent now, but the more she makes use of that to try and smooth things over or something, the less of a free agent she'll be because her actions will always benefit someone more than others. Before she knows it, she might end up with a faction or even an informal part of a family.
------------

Now we move on to the next section of our interview where we ask your opinion about others! Kind of a way to send warm, fuzzy feelings to those who you feel are doing an awesome job and are maybe inspiring you in this game as well! First up, let’s talk about what character(s) or maybe player(s) helped inspire you to join or create Efa and / or Melanie?
Quote:
I created Efa to be the stodgiest ever counterpoint to Gwilym Haven, and I think that succeeded. Sunshine and CrowMN are playing characters that allow Efa to be the straight man in the family to such an extreme extent that she doesn't really even understand them at all. It's a fun dynamic when Gwilym is sloppy drunk with no pants and refusing to make reasonable life choices, or when Gilys is convincing the Montrose manor staff that Sira Haven is a werewolf.

Melanie happened as a counterweight to a couple of characters that aren't actually in play at the moment: Keeper Linnet and our Handmaiden, Nymeria. They are both involved with the church as a political entity, and that seemed to take up more of their considerations where their faith was concerned. I introduced Melanie at least partly because I wanted to see how strongly player characters outside the church tended to believe in Quintism, since it's hard to tell that unless someone brings it up by--say--dropping a priestess in their face! So she was very much created to be a bit of an exposition machine for other people's characters.
Besides political intrigue romance is also abound. Are there any characters in this game that you “ship” right now?
Quote:
I'm not too big a shipper, though Efa ships Gwilym/Gwendoline and is going to do her best in her bewildered and crotchety way to make it happen.
Every game also has players who tend to inspire others a great deal, is there any particular player that you look up to or feel that you’ve learned any new techniques in the art of role-play on Forsilvra?
Quote:
Friday's posts--most notably with Torrence since Torrence is the Friday character I know best--are often reminders to me to include body language in my narration. Torrence is a woman who very much lives in her body, and a lot of her mood is in the way that she stands or she moves. That's a thing I often forget to include, but it's extremely important. Friday is very good at showing versus telling, and I think it gives a richer picture of her characters than if she were to just say in narration that Torrence is wary or tense or annoyed.
Are there any other shout-outs you would like to give to others that has not yet been covered?
Quote:
My thanks go out to Pixie for lending Valen to the cause of getting the Havens interacting with people as a family back when I first apped Efa.
Thank you so much for being a part of the Forsilvra Spotlight, COABLT! We will now leave it up to the rest of the players of Forsilvra to ask any questions or leave any thoughts or comments behind if they would like!

That concludes our first interview for the Forsilvra Spotlight! Keep your eyes open for our next interview in November!
Lahariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Send a message via AIM to Jenn

This is lovely! I enjoyed reading it and getting to know @Cobalt better!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Aashiq Linnet
Lord of the Sands

John
Character
None
None
N/A

AMAAAAAAAAAZING
Aashiq Linnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Friday
King of the Railroad

The Red Queen
Character
Infinite
Middle Earth
Love Quadrangle
Mango
N/A
N/A

This was such an awesome player interview to read! I actually loved getting to know more about your inspiration for Efa Haven; it provided a lot of context as to where you've gone with her and given depth to her personal struggles. Fascinating interview all around. And I am beyond flattered that you've taken note to my personal writing style. It has always been a pleasure fleshing out the characters of both Sira Torrence Aubrey and Efa Haven with you!

<3

And props to Lahariel for creating such an interesting and player-based interview thread!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Cobalt

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

This was super fun to fill out and I was glad for the opportunity to ramble about my characters.

Really really excited for the next interviews so that I can read other people doing the same!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Sam

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

I really enjoyed reading this, thanks for the insight.