Leonard Althalos Lorterra
House Lorterra

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Default Council or Castellan? (Leo/Eldon 7/2, evening)

The evening meal had been served and cleared. Leonard had asked Eldon to accompany him to his study afterwards alone. Now the two men were sitting in comfort, sipping on brandy, ready to catch up in both politics and personal. Both had suffered the loss of child last year. Leonard could not blame Eldon for needing time; Willas had been the man’s eldest son. Leonard knew his way of dealing with Callidora’s death, and the babe, had been to throw himself into the politics.

But he missed his children. The visit to Mountain Manor had warmed him in a way no battle victories could. He understood why Callidora had not wanted this war. He feared for his children. But they had always been in danger; their bloodline was their danger. And no secret stayed secret forever.

“I am glad you’re back, Eldon,” Leonard said warmly. “It’s been too long. How is your lady wife?”
Leonard Althalos Lorterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Eldon Tyrell
House Tyrell

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

The King had invited Eldon to his study after the evening meal, which, if he thought on it, didn't surprise him, but somehow he couldn't help. Leonard Althalos had been a friend of the Tyrell brothers for a long time now, but the man was King of Forsilvra now, the head of House Lorterra as well as House Althalos.

He knew Leonard had lost a child, too, and worse, a wife. He didn't really want to think on what had happened if Raven had died with Willas. He loved his lady wife, and he was sure he'd feel terribly lonely without her, as well as less confident in the exercise of his lordly duties. He was not about to bring up the loss, but it wouldn't surprise him if that strengthened the bond between him and his liege lord.

He was not sure of how to address his liege now. Would he take offence if I called him "Leonard" instead of "Your Grace", now? he thought uneasily. Better to ask, he resolved. "Too long indeed, Leonard" he said, accordingly, with a smile. "Or should I say 'Your Grace' now?" He knew Leonard wasn't a man for formality, but he was a King, so it was best to check.

"Raven was well when I left her," he said. He left unsaid that he thought she had coped better with Willas' death than he did. No bringing that up in front of his King unless Leonard somehow started talking about Willas. He was not even sure whether he'd like to talk about Willas or not.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:02 AM
House Lorterra

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Leonard shook his head, “Names and titles do not make a man. Only the men behind him. You’re as much my friend now as you were a year ago, perhaps even more. Call me Leonard. I would feel uncomfortable with anything grander.” True enough. He would use titles when needed, when he was being addressed by those who would not understand that a lack of titles did not mean a lack of respect. But Eldon would understand the subtle courtesies without need for such overdone decorum.

He could send a bit of discomfort in his friend and let the topic of their families pass. There would be time, when the wounds were less raw, to share the deeper parts of their hearts. For now, brandy and light conversation would be enough.

“I wish I did not have to call on you so soon. How much of what has been happening are you aware of?”
Old 08-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Eldon Tyrell
House Tyrell

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Eldon smiled. He had expected as much from his friend Leonard. After all, they'd known eachother quite some time. Even though he was now his king, that didn't make him any less his friend: the man spoke truthful words. "True," he said. "A crown doesn't change first-name terms, my friend."

Eldon was glad that his liege lord and friend was so concerned for his and his family's welfare. It was, to him, the mark of not just a good friend, but also a good leader that he was concerned for the well-being of those under him. Eldon always endeavoured to do that for his liegemen too, even down to the lowest peasant tenant (although perhaps in different ways, as his lordly status dictated).

Nevertheless, he was somehow glad too that Leonard hadn't let him grief the war away in Brynna while the rest of the Lords Bannermen were marching on Atra for the true king. He felt he needed to say that. "I thank you for your concern, Leonard, but I am fine," he said. "What has happened may have distracted me, but I haven't neglected my lordly duties. You'll find me well-informed."

He smiled. "Truth be told, somehow it's good of you to call on me. Roger's letter was a wake-up call, and my duty will keep me awake, so to speak."
Old 08-19-2011, 04:05 PM
House Lorterra

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

“Never,” Leonard agreed. He might require the lords of the realm to address him properly, at least at first, but Eldon would always be his friend. Even in the presence of those other high lords he wanted those close to him to continue to be casual, to show Ashpool and Mallory and Severne just what type of leader he would be if they would give him the chance to become close to them as well.

Or as close as he dared anyway. With the deaths rolling across the land faster than Amalthia’s vultures could fly, he would always have to be on his guard.

“Duty is why we were born to our positions,” Leonard agree. “We must keep our honor strong, our people safe and happy, and our province - and kingdom - thriving. It is good to have you back. I expect that any day now we will receive word from Halford about the attack of Novra. I expect the news to be good - Halford is not man to disappoint. Afterwards I plan to travel there myself, with the small council. Which leaves me to ask, Eldon, do you wish to join the council in the position of Welfare Advisor or would you like to remain here as castillian of my castle to hold court until I return?” In a few year Fabian would be old enough to attend court, but at eight, he was still too young to make pressing decisions.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Eldon Tyrell
House Tyrell

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Leonard was offering him a seat on his small council, or the opportunity to be Castellan of Castle Berg? Those two positions were honourable posts, and either would do fine to occupy his mind with duty. "My, I'm honoured, Leonard," said Eldon. "And you know I don't say that because of courtly etiquette. Let me think..." He thought for a while. Being Castellan would mean he would be staying behind in the castle, but it would be over once Leonard returned to Kyla. Being Authority of Welfare was definitely the option that appealed to him most: a lasting commitment to the well-being of Blasa and a growing kingdom. It would let him worry about others instead of contemplating his own loss.

"It would be an honour, my lord," he said, "to serve on Your Grace's council. It would give me the chance to do something for Blasa and for the Realm."
Old 08-20-2011, 01:29 PM
House Lorterra

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Leonard smiled. “The council seat will be a far more trying position, especially with war ravaging our lands. I think you are up to the challenge though, my friend, and I know you will succeed. I know the people of Blasa will feel more secure with you at the lead. They know we are lords for the people. They can’t be certain, nor can I, about the other lords of this land.

“Your brother Roger, is Authority of Diplomacy. Having two Tyrells on my council instead of two Kellingtons or two Mons may being somewhat vexing to the other Lords. I would ask that you and your brother show them you want to work with them. Make them see the wisdom of having you both on council. “
Old 08-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Eldon Tyrell
House Tyrell

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Eldon knew the truth of Leonard's words: they were indeed lords for the people, and that couldn't be said of some of the other lords of Forsilvra. Or other Kings, even (he imagined Victor Castell might have a hard time helping peasants). "And I speak truthfully, Leonard," he said, truthfully, "when I tell you that being a lord for the people makes you the best king for the Realm." And I need to compensate for not having been a lord for my people the whole time I was grieving for Willas.

He listened attentively to the concerns Leonard had about him and Roger. It was true: even though, as his liege lord well knew, Eldon Tyrell and his brother hadn't had an exceptionally close relationship (Eldon did not understand why), the other Lords Authorities would get a bit jumpy when two Tyrells took seats on the council. They might just see the rise of House Tyrell's fortunes, by which, in their eyes, it would take just a marriage alliance for them to rise to become a powerful force in the Province, perhaps the closest Bannermen to House Althalos.

But Eldon Tyrell did not want that kind of influence, even though he would like to rise honestly in the favour of his lord out of pure loyalty and service to the Province and the Realm. "I quite understand," he said, smiling. "Halford and Amius are true and loyal men, but it will make them a bit jumpy to see two wolves on the council, even though we just serve the Realm at your pleasure. I'll tell Roger."

Last edited by Eldon Tyrell; 08-20-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Eldon Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
House Lorterra

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

“I am the only rightful king.” Had the Sterlyns not executed Waltyn, Elissa would have likely come out of hiding and Leonard would have been crowned when he came of age. All the bickerings of Sterlyn and Castell would matter not. “And a good king listens to the people, to his advisors, to the truth. Halford Mons and Thilo and Amius will all speak truth. You and Roger will as well. And what you bring me from the people will always be considered. If they are hungry, we must feed them. If they wish for roads we must build them. If they feel unsafe, we will protect them.”

He took a sip of his wine and nodded, “Amius sees the potential of power but he’s good with the coin. Halford knows war and battle, but nothing of diplomacy. Each man has their strengths, but neither have been as good a friend to me as you.” He laughed lightly, “Although I would not tell them that. If truth be told, I think Lord Kellington brought his daughters here to woo me.”
Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Eldon Tyrell
House Tyrell

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

"Then the Gods are smiling on the Realm," Eldon said, referring to their discussion of kingship. It was the truth Leonard asked for, not mere idle flattery. These were his thoughts. He knew his friend well enough. The combination of the only rightful king and the best king in the person of Leonard Lorterra would, once he came into his throne, initiate years of peace. "And I will bring to you the truth of the people's situation." He thought for a while. "I am of a mind to go travelling the Province once the war effort has calmed down enough, to see how we can help out our people."

Eldon sipped his wine. "Thank you," he simply said. Then, he laughed as Leonard revealed to him what he thought about Lord Kellington. "Good luck then!" he said, laughing. "Do you intend to remarry?"

(OOC: Sorry if the quality of the post is a bit less than you would expect of me, but I wrote this in a hurry.)